Saturday, June 1, 2013

Bean Curry

I am just in a curry mood I suppose. It is something I have decided I like, so I have been trying lots of new recipes :) Here is a good one from Melanie at www.melskitchencafe.com My husband raved, and the kids ate it well too. We had ours with whole wheat naan. That recipe was also from Melanie. I will post that recipe another time! Enjoy!
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger 
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
  • pinch cayenne, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (If you don't have this, you can look on the internet for a substitute like I did!)
  • 3/4 cup half and half (I think next time I will try coconut milk to make it vegan)
  • 1 cup vegetable stock or chicken broth
  • 1 can black-eyed peas, lightly drained (I used 1 1/2 cans)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until translucent and slightly browned. Stir in garlic and grated ginger root; stir constantly for 30 seconds. Add tomato; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in turmeric, cayenne, salt, paprika, and garam masala; stir constantly for 30 seconds. Add half and half, stock, and black-eyed peas.
  2. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro. Serve immediately with rice, chapati, or naan.

No comments: